Zoom user guide for students
Zoom is a multi-format video conferencing and online meeting solution available to UQ staff and students for use on a number of different platforms; including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Linux, and room-based video conferencing systems, such as those found in many lecture theatres and meeting rooms at UQ.
Setting up Zoom
Please follow these steps if you are settings up Zoom for the first time:
- Visit the website uqz.zoom.us/download
- Download button under Zoom Client for Meetings to download the Zoom Installer, then run the file to begin installing Zoom on your laptop device.
- Zoom should open automatically once installation is complete. If not, start Zoom from the All Programs menu on a PC, or from the Applications folder on a Mac.
- Select Sign In.
- Select the Sign In with SSO option.
- Enter uqz as the company domain, then select Continue.
- Enter your UQ username and password, then select Login.
- Select Sign In.
- Once signed in, select the Settings option at the top right of from the Zoom home menu.
- Select the Audio tab on the settings window.
- Select the correct speaker device from the drop-down menu, then select Test Speaker to check that sound is working correctly.
- Repeat this process to select and check that your mic is working correctly.
- Select the Video tab, select the correct camera device, then close the settings window.
Your Zoom client should now be ready to connect to or host a Zoom meeting.
Joining a Zoom meeting
To join a Zoom Meeting or Webinar, you first need to be provided with either a Meeting ID or a URL link.
- If you have been provided with a URL link, open the link in your internet browser. Your Zoom client will open and connect you to the meeting.
If you have been provided with a Meeting ID number, open your Zoom client, select Join, enter the Meeding ID in the field provided, then select Join.
Once connected, you may be prompted to Join Computer Audio. Please select this option to enable sound for the Zoom Meeting or Webinar.
For more information on Zoom client functions and alternative connection methods, please refer to the the Zoom Video Conferencing User Guide available at its.uq.edu.au/zoom