UQ Student Internet Service
This FREE account has been specifically designed to help UQ students make the most out of Internet based resources.
Your free student account includes:
- 50GB download allowance per month
- Unlimited usage hours
- Wireless access on-campus
- Official UQ email address
- 100MB Disk Space
How to get started
You do not need to apply for this service - it is set up automatically for all students. When you enrol at UQ you will be sent a letter with a UQ username and password. These details are used for this service and other online services around UQ such as mySI-net.
About your free account
- 50GB download per month - Your download allowance is used whenever you access the Internet through your student account, or from locations on-campus (including wireless) when you use your UQ Sign In username and password. Access to UQ sites and most Australian universities (except Notre Dame, Southern Cross and Bond universities) are free and do not count against your download allowance.
- You can purchase additional download for your free Student Internet Access account by visiting the Client Services team in at the Prentice Centre (building 42, St Lucia campus). Important: Postgraduate research students must refer to their School administrator for access to additional download.Unlimited usage hours - You have unlimited usage hours when you connect to the Internet via your student account.
- Wireless Access - You can connect to the wireless network (Eduroam) from many areas around UQ. When you are on-campus, look out for the wireless hotspot signs.
- Email access - Every student receives an official UQ email address with 50GB mail storage. The University only communicates with you via this address so you must check it frequently. If you use an another email address, you may redirect email from this account to another email address you regularly use.
- 100MB Disk Space - This is used for file storage.
- VPN - A virtual private network (VPN), allows you to create a secure connection to UQ from home just like you are on-campus. This gives you full access to most services found on the private network (such as certain web pages etc). Students at the Dental and Medical Schools will need to connect via VPN in order to access the wireless network.